Scottburgh Primary School has a long and interesting history stretching back to 4th August 1925 when the school first opened its doors to 20 pupils from Class One to Std 3. The school consisted of a wood and iron structure and was named "Scottburgh Government Aided School".
Miss Roos was the first Principal of the school and she was followed by Mrs Ormond. In 1928 the school was renamed "The Scottburgh Government School" with an enrolment of 37 and classes ranging from Class 1 to Std 4.
On 1 September 1928 the first headmaster, Mr T. Wailes Barron took over the school. The school building was a wood and iron cottage consisting of four rooms, a kitchen and a pantry. It was situated not far from the present school site, on an acre of ground.
In 1931 the new school was erected on the present site and on 14th October 1938 a new block was completed. After much consultation the new High school was eventually allowed, and in 1968 Standard Seven was added to the school.
The Secondary Department progressed by one Standard each year, until in 1971 the first pupils sat for the Matriculation.
In 1976 the High School section moved to its new premises. The Primary School was housed in prefabs until the new school buildings were officially handed over on 24th July 1985.