Newsletter 3 of 2017
02 February 2017
Dear SPS Family
Please take note of the following:
The school has introduced masters in charge of sporting codes (MIC’s) who will manage and develop various sporting codes through the Department of Sport. Congratulations to the following staff who have been appointed MIC’s for 2017:
- Mr Fisher: cricket and rugby
- Mrs Peter: swimming, water polo and hockey
- Miss Potgieter: netball
- Mr Naidoo will oversee soccer until a MIC is appointed.
2. SGB BY-ELECTION AND COMPOSITION 2017:
Thank you to all the parents who attended the by-election. We are happy to announce that Mr Mthethwa is the newly elected parent member on our SGB. Mr Mthethwa was the treasurer of Pennington Primary School SGB and comes with a wealth of knowledge concerning school governance. The composition of the SGB for 2017 is as follows:
|Name and Email Address||Portfolio|
|Mr S. Naidoo
|Mr M. Steele
|Mrs T. Laight
|Mr M. Mthethwa
|Mrs S. Jones
|Non-Educator Rep / Secretary
|Mr C. Simpkins
|Parent Rep / Buildings, Grounds and Maintenance
|Mr G. Gardner
|Parent Rep / Safety, Security and Discipline
|Mrs X. Black
|Educator Rep / Fundraising
|Mrs S. Pillay
|Mr B. Bartman
|Co-opted (Sports, Arts and Culture)
|Mrs G. Armstrong
- As a reward for winning the 2016 Inter House Academic Shield, all learners (Gr 1 to 7) from JUPITER HOUSE ONLY, will have a free Civvies Day tomorrow(3/02).
- Learners will be dismissed from their classes only at 12h30(Gr1, 2) and 14h05(Gr 3 to 7) from Monday to Thursday and 13h00(Gr1 to 7) on Fridays. The learners then line up before proceeding to the exit gates. Parents and lift clubs must plan their times accordingly. This arrangement is put into place to maximize the academic instruction time. Parents/lift clubs must also be reminded that all learners who are not fetched within 15 minutes of the dismissal time, will be taken up to the front office, which will be the pick-up, point.
- Learner name badges: These have made identification of learners much easier and colour coding of the different grades assisted with designated playground areas.
- Uniform: There have been a few complaints and concerns around the availability of stock at the Little Shop. Unfortunately, the Little Shop is the only supplier at the moment. The school is not directly involved in the ordering and selling of the uniforms, however, I have spoken to the manufacturer and the owners of The Little Shop. I have also tabled this concern to the SGB and we are looking at new ideas for the future. I am sure that the Little Shop will supply the outstanding items shortly.
- Reading Eggs/Mathletics: Thank you to all the parents who have fulfilled their obligation to pay and register their child. There are a few outstanding payments and I am making personal phone calls to these parents. We hope to start these programmes next week.
- Tablets (Gr 1 and 4): The tablet storage unit should be installed next week and we then hope to start this initiative with the Grade 4.
- Monitors: Congratulations to all the learners who have been selected as monitors for 2017.
4. SCHOOL FEES:
Thank you to all those parents who have made payment in full. Parents are reminded to please keep to your payment plan. I have put new systems in place this year and will personally attend to all school fee matters.
Cricket: Both our U11 and U13 teams got off to a great start winning their opening matches. Well done boys.
Swimming: Congratulations to Neptune House for winning the SP Swimming Gala. Thank you to all the parents for your support and the SPS team for all your hard work. Our school team is busy training towards our upcoming galas.
Water Polo: We are so excited at the interest shown towards this sport and hope to have our first competitive game soon.
Athletics: Congratulations to Joshua Simpkins, Trystan Mocke, Sthabiso Dube and Christina Stanton for making the Scottburgh team. All the best in the District Trials tomorrow.